Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Rapid fun

Over the course of the summer every once in awhile I stop and reflect, how on earth did i come to be here, experiencing this amazing continent, fortunate to see something that only 1% or every perhaps .0001% of the world gets to experience...
These past few days have been no exception. 4 months ago, I had never really contemplated the origins of the Nile river. I had no idea it started in Uganda...(or perhaps Burundi or Rwanda...depending on who you talk to) but now i am acutely aware of its source, as are my innards which have consumed at least one liter of the white nile. (so much for bottled water)
On early sunday morning sara and I, along with Joey, Brandon and Alex (friends and classmates from new orleans) set off on a two day rafting trip down the Nile. So i have been rafting several times before (west virginia, idaho, montana and peru) but NOTHING compares to the waves we faced on the Nile. Just when you think you have made it through a rapid, another one pops up and you are forced to grab onto the raft for dear life yet again. Never before have I have paddled over a waterfall (i have a bruise on my face from a misplaced paddle to prove it), lost my shorts (and almost my bathing suit(!!))) while sucked down under enormous waves and carried away 300 meters down stream before someone came to my rescue, enjoyed an amazing lunch picnic on the raft watching the passing scenery: little boys bathing in the Nile, jumping up and down completely naked excitedly waving at the strange Muzungus floating by, lush flora of every shape and size, the occasional monkey swinging in the trees, and of course to omninous (yet exciting) sound of the next rapid approaching. I really can't describe how happy, and peaceful I felt at that moment. If anyone is traveling to Uganda, i highly recommend this experience....
Anyway, today we are resting up and preparing for a trip to Chimp island tomorrow followed by a 3-day safari to Northern Uganda.

Pictures to follow (thank god for sara and her diligent photographing of all events)

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

You do bring it all to life for those of us who like to live vicariously. So glad I learned of your rafting adventure AFTER the fact. BE SAFE and keep writing. You're cool. Much love, Mom

Anonymous said...

And, from the Mom who DID know you were going rafting, I was glad to hear from both you and Sara that you survived the experience with only a few bumps and bruises. I guess those photos of crocodiles in the Nile are taken a little further downstream.


Of course you two were quite at home on one of the only rivers in the world that flows North, being from the land of the mighty Genesee and Niagara Rivers! Much love, your other Mom!

Anonymous said...

Dear Betsy,
I suppose that your and Sara's rafting accounts sound a little more exciting than the Yankee Jim, if that's possible.

I guess you didn't have the same smelly wetsuit problem, changing in a small trailer with some guy sleeping and, of course, camera technology has come a long way since your Wonder Woman camera.
-Angie

Miranda said...

I hate you just a little bit right now.

Anonymous said...

Betsy,

Angie stole all my good lines. Fun to hear about your incredible adventures. I was white water rafting last weekend in Colorado, but not even worth mentioning - class 4 - not the class 100 rapids you are describing.

Be careful...

Rob