Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Carb-Nation

I know food is oftentimes a focal point of my blogs, but bear with me as I briefly summarize the contents of my lunch buffet plate yesterday:

  1. White Rice
  2. Ugali (cornmeal starch)
  3. Chipote (not to be mistaken for chipotle-i miss you!-but an equally tasty, fried bread product)
  4. Matoke (mashed banana's-which i found out during my ugandan class, contains virtually no nutrients and a large amount of calories)
  5. Boiled Potatoes
  6. Stewed peas
  7. 2 Large Meat Balls.
hmm...what are the common themes of this list? hmm...anyone?

if you answered Carbs, Yes! You are correct! 5 of the 7 elements on my plate were starchy, caloric, waistline inducing carbohydrates...So, i've decided to take matters into my own hands and last night I went to my first African Aerobics class. I paid my $3, changed behind a curtain while (unfortunately) establishing eye contact with some gentleman who was trying to get water next to the "changing room", and got ready for 1 and a half hours of shear motion. And constant motion it was. It was like a regular aerobics class with ADD. We ran in circles, we did some twists and every kind of arm raise possible, we grabbed a step mid-way and did some step aerobics, then we ran in a circle again-which "ran" is probably not the appropriate term here...we danced in a circle. We did abs, followed by more circle dancing and finally, when on the verge of passing out, we stopped and had the person next to us give us a back massage. (as the only muzungu in the class, i fear i had a few more takers to give me a massage than would be otherwise expected by a sweaty, exhausted person)

The room was packed, half male, half female. several extremely obese, several that were ready for the rwandan marathon team. But the majority were like myself trying to clap to the beat while do a grape-vinesque motion while not tripping over the person 2 inches from you.

Anyway, the class is 3 times a week, my carb addiction 5. we will see which one wins out.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ahh, I just love you :)

Alana said...

hehe...It wasn't the same as the outdoor aerobics in Gisenye I take it?

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a blast! Great gorilla pics, too!

Not sure if you head, but Courtney had her baby! I missed out on the initial news because I have test-messaging shut off on my phone. Everyone is doing well!!

-Liz H.R.