Thursday, May 22, 2008

IT Capital of the World

Kinyarwanda word of the day: Bite=How?

(Kinyarwanda is the local language, along with French, and supposedly English though many people I've attempted to talk to don't actually speak english...)

Long story. I had actually written a longish blog entry about first impressions on my computer and was going to transfer via flash drive to this computer, but i'll spare you the details. Actually I won't spare you. Let's just say Rwanda (who is vying for the title of IT capital of Africa) has its work cut out for it...

So this morning after going to meet my potential host family (on aforementioned blog. more on that later) we went to the school of public health where i will be working and after meeting many people whose names are all a blur, we sat down to check our email in the school's computer lab. And literally the instant I sat down, the whole school's connection went down. Since it was lunch time anyway, Josh (our Tulane grad host of sorts) decided to take us to lunch at this internet cafe, which by the way has amazing coffee (also the subject of previous unpostable blog) and american style sandwiches burgers etc. (this is no k-stan when it comes to western food...it appears to be readily available..)

Anyway, long story short, the internet at this amazingly western coffee shop was also broken so we decided to hoof it up the hill to Tulane's small downtown office. So here I sit now--after going through 3 computers. "Bite" you may ask? Well, I'm not entirely sure. One wouldn't sign on to the wireless and one ran out of battery 2 minutes after I sat down, so i better hurry up and post this (doesn't seem to have a USB port so i can download the blogs I wrote earlier) before something else goes wrong.

apparently this is a rare occurrence of internet disconnect. We will see...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yay - I am finally getting a comment in before Rob!! ...that's all I had to say ;)