Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Going Batty

I have come to the realization that my name is quite challenging to say to the non-English world. It started in Kazakhstan where even though they have the tss (as in beTSy) as a letter in their alphabet, i was forever known as betty.
I was reminded of this charming fact this morning at the gym, where for some reason every time i check in at the front desk i have to provide my name. Despite the fact that I go at least twice a week (remember my shower situation), and there are 3 girls that work there, only one of them has mastered the "betsy". I have been "betty", "pepsi", "patty", "whitney", "bette" and my personal favorite, "batty".
Which considering some of the names I have encountered here isn't too strange. Let me just name a few of my favorite local names:

Innocent
Providence
Jean de Dieu (aka John of God where there are not one, but two gods working at the school of public health...)
Esperance
Prosper
La Duece
Peace and Joy (who of course are sisters)

These are just a few of my favs....To make things easier for my local friends i am henceforth to be referred to as Batty de Dieu....

1 comment:

Lulu said...

I know a guy here in the UK named Innocent. I don't really like him. He's from Burundi...no name will ever, ever top "Kumshot" though..