Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Attack of the killer....

dragon flies? I'm not quite sure what the creature was, but it definitely infiltrated my bedroom last night...The situation: I just said goodnight to Farita ("host mom") and went into my bedroom to read a bit before going to bed when i noticed a dragonfly type creature on the wall. No big deal. I am actually amazed at the LACK of bug problems i have had here. So i went to kill it and sat down on my mattress again. when i saw another...hmm....killed that. Suddenly, before i knew it my room had at least 30 of these guys flying around. I realized it was my light (combined with the fact it was raining outside) so I turned off my light.

But then i heard nothing but the flapping of wings which freaked me out, so i turned on my light to kill what i could, but it was an uphill battle. Packaging tape, towels...NOTHING could keep these guys from getting in...It was seriously like a scene from a horror movie, where you could see an endless stream of bugs, yet nothing i could do would keep them out....

So for the next 20 minutes-in what i am sure would be a humorous site for anyone that happened to catch it-I was runnign around my room with a flashlight and my flip flop trying to kill these guys....finally I gave up, but awoke this morning to a blanket of dragon fly wings and carcases all over the room....hmm....maybe i should invest in a mosquito net here...

Also, i purchased a mini-fridge for the family today for a whopping $430...not sure what mini-fridges cost in the states but this did seem a little extreme....Rwanda certainly is not cheap. I saw a snickers bar for sale for $2 yesterday. The first one I have seen in the entire country, but i was able to resist.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

HAHA... I can totally picture this. You definitely need a net.

Anonymous said...

Sounds like termites. You'll be happy to know they're edible. If it comes to that.