Sunday, June 8, 2008

Showers of Rwanda

Since I'm sure that my bathing habits are of great concern to all the readers out there (and because I'm feeling particularly grimy after three days without a shower) I'm taking this moment to describe the various showers I've had during my 3 weeks in country...

Hotel Isimbi ($40 a night)
Hot Water: Instant Hot Water (!)
Conditions: Showing in a tub with no curtain and a hand held shower hose.
Cons: Not great water pressure

Alberge du Caverna ($14 a night)
Hot Water: Room number 1 (Yes, but took 1-2 minutes to heat up) Room number 2: in theory yes, but i only discovered this fact after taking a shower after Alana, so apparently it takes a good 20 minutes to heat up)
Conditions: in a cement shower stall with a curtain (unique for Rwanda!)
Cons: unpredictable heat and slow

My Home: (my rent=a refridgerator)
Hot Water: No
Conditions: an elevated sort of 3x3 cubicle 1 foot from the toilet without any curtain so the entire bathroom gets soaked while showering.
Cons: no hot water, horrible water pressure, no lock on bathroom door-so living in fear that someone may walk in and see me hunched over the faucet (cant' figure out how to turn on the shower head)--on a plus side because there is not hot water my showers there have been less than 2 minutes...

Gym at Novotel: ($7)
Hot Water: YES!!
Conditions: a little slice of heaven...A private shower WITH a lock. A porcelain shower basin, wonderful water pressure, instant hot water, soap dispenser, shower curtain so your other clothes don't get wet...
Cons: $7. But will I pay $7 to take a shower? yes!!! and actually its a great place to work out as well. They have 5-6 aerobic machines (and when i get there at 7 am, there is rarely anyone there), new weight machines, and CNN....The shower situation is actually a great incentive for keeping in shape while over here. Forget all those books and tricks to get people to work out...america could solve the obesity problem if gyms were the only places with available hot water!!

2 comments:

Rob Wild said...

Now that I have a better understanding for the global market rates on showers, I will set the 1416 Barger Place, St. Louis fee at $1.50 - includes hot water and FREE soap. Main drawback, a 3 or 5 year old may walk in on you to go poop.

Hate to think of what Dad's retroactive charge will be...

Cait said...

ummmm yeah, you have totally gone 3 days without a shower in nola my friend... just think 47 while camping! the gym... i just am sitting at the lab at pjs after leaving reily... its quiet at that place in the summer!! (ie wonderful without the booty short girls..) bathe away buddy. but i just read in a magazine that sweat isnt dirt, its a natural bodifier for the hair.. just a little fyi