Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Going Bananas

Bananas are the number one subsistence crop in Rwanda, and I never knew there were so many varieties, sizes, tastes, or dishes involving bananas. There are starchy bananas, sweet bananas, green bananas, and at the moment (attracting more fruit flies than Rob's high school science project) rotten bananas in my trash can....

One of my favorite sitings to date was a guy on the bus with a chiquita banana hat that said "Chiquita, the bright spot in your day"...well these bananas are not exactly chiquita, but as long as you get the sweeter variety-which at this point since they all look similar i have trouble distinguishing exactly what i am exactly buying-it is indeed the bright spot in my day.

Everyday on my way to work I pass women carting 100+ bananas in woven baskets on their heads (yes people do carry things on their heads here...the other day i saw a guy carrying a futon-type couch on his head-with no hands!). And usually I stop and buy some bananas. 10 bananas or so cost about 50 cents.

So far I have had:

Stewed Bananas: popular african dish involving manioc leaves that tastes remarkably like potatoes...
Baked Bananas: Drier dish and not as sweet as stewed bananas
Banana Bread
Banana "Wine": Called Ugwagwa which is thick and potent and after 2 glasses better than it sounds...
Banana Juice: Similar to Ugwagwa minus the fermentation/alcohol taste
Banana Fruit Salad
and my lunch staple: A peanut butter and banana sandwich.

(I have yet to try banana beer, Wagari (which is a banana based gin?!!), or boiled and fried bananas...)

But beware, because there is an incurable bacteria strain (xanthomonas wilt or BXW) that is jeopardizing banana crops in Eastern Africa. The bacteria attacks all varieties of bananas and if not contained, this could have devastating effects on the region. (not to mention my lunch)

This bacteria is like HIV for bananas--i propose it should be called BRB-Banana Rotting Bacteria (though i hope it will NOT BRB). It attacks the banana through wounds or opening in the skin, and then causes the banana to ripen and rot prematurely. Though if you cover banana tree with a plastic covered (latex not necessary) it protects the plant from "infection". Also removing the male flowers circumcis--i mean circumvents insects from spreading the disease...And again, there is no cure. (is this revenge for all my banana demonstrations in kazakhstan? hmm....) If bananas become extinct what would be the bright spot in my day?!!

For more info on the disease this article aPEELed (sorry :)) to me: Dealing with a Deadly Banana Disease

1 comment:

ebustinza said...

I had been wondering how you were suppressing your once overwhelming urges to pun...you did not disappoint.

P.S. I'll be your bright spot.