Thursday, June 5, 2008

Easy Rider

Kinyarwandan word of the day: Cyirahenda cyane (It's too expensive)

This phrase has come in handy, particularly for my new favorite mode of transportation in Kigali: the moto taxi. Since I have moved in with my host family, I am in a very nice neighborhood, but unfortunately it is far away from most things (except Bourbon Coffee-which i just heard that they are opening a branch in D.C....be on the lookout! More on Rwandan coffee here). So rather than take the 3 buses it requires to get to work in the morning (or 2 to get downtown) I have discovered the moto-taxi. There is nothing like whipping across an african hilltop or bouncing down a dirt road on the back of a motorcycle. Plus, rather than take a regular taxi to town (which is at least $8) I can just hop on a moto for less than $1.50.

They are cheap, always available, and all drivers are registered with the government with numbers so if one has problems, it is easy to report. Also, helmets are required for all riders. I'm still looking into buying a bicycle, but for the moment i'm enjoying the ride.

No comments: